This workshop is intended to help participants:
- Feel inspired and empowered to be effective anti-racists who model and teach anti-racism
- Learn about children's grasp of race & racism
- Obtain information, tools, analysis, strategies, language and resources
- Counter the present culture of colorblindness with more effective strategies
- Nurture a positive racial identity in white children
- Develop confidence in teaching children anti-racism
- Acquire preliminary tools to raise white children who have an aware and healthy racial identity and the potential to join the next generation of anti-racist organizers and healers
The workshop is appropriate for white people who are open to learning what to do about racism, perhaps feeling they should be doing something but not sure what. The workshop is also appropriate for people of color who want to support white people who want to take action against racism.
To register for this workshop, you must have completed one of the following:
• Fundamentals, Part 1 offered by CSWAC
• Within the last two years, the Undoing Racism and Community Organizing workshop offered by the People's Institute for Survival and Beyond
The prerequisite may be waived for applicants who have previous education, training, or experience with racial justice work.
A 4.5-hour workshop offered on a single day with a morning session, a lunch break, and an afternoon session. The workshop uses didactic presentation, small group discussion, large group discussion, and a slide show presentation. Handouts are made available to participants.
The workshop touches on several topics, including
• basics of anti-racism education and practices
• awareness of white culture
• how children learn racism and at what age
• how and when to talk with children about race and racism
• media literacy for children
• strategies for supporting children as they encounter racism in everyday life
• helping children develop a positive anti-racist white identity
• meeting challenges and obstacles
Cost: $95 per participant. $85 for graduates of any prior workshop in our What White People Can Do About Racism series. Sliding scale and student discount available. The registration fee covers all materials, plus lunch and a copy of our book, Walk With Us.
For more information, contact:
Robin Alpern (914) 736-5447, robin.alpern (at) gmail.com
Jeff Hitchcock (908) 245-4972, contact (at) euroamerican.org