This workshop will give you some basic knowledge about:
• current models and approaches
• decentering whiteness, as a goal
• building multiracial community, as a goal
• why these two goals go hand in hand
A 6-hour interactive workshop offered in three 2-hour sessions, using the Zoom online videoconferencing platform. The workshop varies between didactic presentation, small group discussion, large group discussion, and slideshow presentations. A set of electronic resources (articles, videos, diagrams, etc.) is provided to each participant. The workshop is recorded for the benefit of participants who wish to review it later. Light homework will be assigned.
The workshop depends in part on visual aids such as PowerPoints and infographics. While Zoom allows participants to phone in without a camera, we do not recommend this. The workshop is designed as a videoconference, and important content will be lost to participants lacking video capability. Please plan to use a device equipped with webcam.
The workshop touches on several topics, including:
• basic concepts important to a multiracial perspective
• centered and decentered whiteness
• features of whiteness as centered
• decentering these same features of whiteness
• envisioning a multiracial community
• how to begin building multiracial community
• requirements for multiracial community building
$95 per participant. All registrations are final. We are not able to issue refunds for anyone who misses any portion of the workshop. Videorecordings of each session will be made available to registered participants.
For more information, contact:
Robin Alpern (908) 245-4972, robin.alpern (at) gmail.com
Jeff Hitchcock (908) 245-4972, contact (at) euroamerican.org